Monday, June 1, 2009

Getting stuff done

Today (the 29th) was “get stuff done day.” There will be more of these to come but this was just the first one. We got up and had frest strawberries in yougurt! SO GOOD! I think I may have to make a whole different blog on the food because its one of my favorite things so far. We then went to one of the metro stations and got my transportation pass. It gives me full access to the tons of metros busses and trams that go over the whole city! Its great! At least now when I get lost in the city it doesn’t cost me anything to try and find my way out! I also got this card called “incarta?” It cost me 300kc but it gives me 25% of train travel for the next 3 years… not mad at that. It helps a lot because I have to take a train from Usti to Prague and not sure quite yet if its going to be more worth it to get the monthly pass or just pay by the trip. I guess depends on where I find work or an internship. If its in Prague it will be more worth it to get the monthly pass… the pass is pretty much the same cost as 15 round trips. So if you go every day that’s 50%. Note to self… I need to form some kind of school that I can stay in and keep my “student” status. My student id that I kept works for some things but all the really important discounts require an “international student card” or something that takes paperwork. Student stuff is all at about half price! Well as far as transportation and special events and tourist places its half price.

Then we went and exchanged what cash i had into crowns (i'm not spelling it right but its the czech currency and it sounds like crowns). The best exchange rate we could find was located under some shopping center run by english speaking middle eastern people. 18.80 is the rate at the moment... in case anyone wanted to know. Its not the official rate but its the best you can get anywhere so the exchange people get their cut. It was a better rate than the banks had! 

With the money exchanged our next place to go was Tereza had a Dr appointment. So i sat in the waiting room by myself pretending to read a czech magazine when one of the doctors walks in and looks at me and says "CHAKEc KLC EHr LKjoi ;ljow er Ljoipap olher?" (or something very close to that. I responded with a nod of my head and a point in the direction of the other room. He then said "afvpoienarl al;kjfo a;lkdhfopique" and walked back into his office.  I'd like to think the conversation went like this "have you been helped?" *nod and point* "ok good just checking." But for all i know it could have been "Mr Dobczesh can you show me wich arm i am suposed to amputate today?" *nod and point* "well seems like that arm is working pretty well.. too bad you have to loose it... let me go get my saw." I left before I could confirm either of those.

Next to the VODAphone place. And i spent the next hour trying to figure out the czech mobile phone system with a lot of help from Tereza. From what i can understand it is much better than ours because you only pay for what you send or call not what you receive. So when you have those mass text happy friends of yours can send to their hearts delight and you dont read them and cry wishing you had unlimited texting. So now i have a sim card with 200kc's of credit on it but that clever apple has made it very difficult to make my iphone work. FYI the lovely people at AT&T will tell you that you cant remove your sim card from your iphone and you have to buy a new one... here i am aparently the only one in the country that doesn't know that all it takes is a paperclip to take the card out.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kir19QRGzv8 . 

Then we went back to tereza's parents house and i came to the realization... I"M REALLY TIRED... and slept till dinner then ate then slept till the next day... Not a very climactic ending to the day but thats really how it went. So to make up for it, I will leave you with a thought i had... Here there is aparently an Italian mafia, Ukrainian mafia, Indian mafia and probably more.... Anyone know of an american mafia? will i have to start one myself? it is tempting


  oh btw this is my transportation pass lol

1 comment:

  1. You are so funny! You can definitely turn some of your experiences into a short!

    I love you and glad you are having a good time. I'm also glad you are getting some rest.

    Take care!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete