Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Krivoklat the castle that will take me longer to learn to say than it took to build it.
I thought we were just going to get up and go to Usti today but i was so wrong! And in a good way. Tereza's boyfriend decided to drive us out to a castle that was pretty far out in the country. So even though I felt like the really awkward third person because her boyfriend doesn't speak a word of english so they spoke czech nearly the whole time, I had a great time! The roads here are AMAZING! I swear you barely go 100yards in a straight line. Curves and hills and fields and woods and rivers and towns flying by and cars missing you by inches is way more fun than i could have imagined! It is a great realization of their need for little cars! The castle was beautiful and the history behind it was really interesting! It was used back before Charles IV and was his home for a while. (if you know your czech history he is kind of a big deal!) Its been so many things throughout history.. I guess because you get to a point where your like "so i have the castle... what do i do with it?" It started on a different hill as a hunting getaway for the kings then became more of a castle when they built on the hill its currently on and then was a hunting getaway castle for a while then it was things like a really nice castle like house for people, a school, and it was a prison for a very long time! There were like 900 years spanned from its first prisoner to its last prisoner! Thats a long time just as a prison! We saw the different chanbers of the king and queen. AN AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL chapel area (no pictures were allowed inside but i tried my best to get a picture of the alter that stood like 2 stories tall and was just amazing! you only see a part of it and its blury... sorry but it was the best i could do) and a library that has books dating back to forever ago and a book that has like 3000 pages and is is about 2'x1.5' in size and a good 8 or 9 inches thick! it was a boring read though. And we saw the dungeon and its torture devices..ooooohhh i saw an actual iron maden! It would have NOT been fun at all to die in that! Then another amazing trip home and we boarded the train to Usti! I think i want to live in europe just because of how much i love traveling by train! It was a really fun atmosphere at the train station because the train we were on was full of kids on their way to amsterdam. Probably 100 or more 20 somethings and I think each one was speaking their own language. I was loving the train ride but i fell asleep because its is just so relaxing and i had a lot of walking done for that day. I got to usti... brought the rain with me. And then made it to my new home for the next few months! Outside it looks really shady but the inside is so nice! White walls and wood floors and its just spotless (i'm nervous about having to keep things as clean as when i arrived =/ ) I unpacked and they fixed dinner! These czechs cook all the time! every meal is cooked! It is great i love it! It was this dill seasoned gravy substance with fried eggs and dumplings... sounds weird but everything here sounds like that but tastes so good! I was amazed that I have been here this long and just now had dumplings for the first time. Last time i think 3/4 of the meals had dumplings. The lack of dumplings left me wondering if maybe i was in the wrong country... but now i have dumplings and all is well, I really am in the Czech... whew!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment